Wednesday 23 February 2011

Race to fitness

After my virus last month I jumped straight back into 116 miles in 7 days. My legs of course complained and I struggled on some of my easy recovery runs. I know this is normal when I am overloading my body in this way. I went straight off this high mileage into the Chichester 10k. I knew I had tired legs and on my warm up I did not feel too great! It was a very blustery day and my effort levels were through the roof, I ran hard all the way to finish in a disappointing time of 34.04. I knew this was not a reflection of my form, but rather how tired I was. A week later I had Wokingham half marathon, this was to be another training run, so I ran through this as well clocking 94miles for the week, but I felt so much better, I ran 73.39 in control and then continued to run doing 23 miles in total for the day. This picked up my confidence for the following weekend, when I toed the line at the English National cross-country in Alton towers. I was very excited about racing in the tough muddy conditions, but the last minute shortening of the course did not work in my favour, they cut the race by 2k and changed the course so we didn't go up the steep long hill (this was the bit I was excited about). Despite this I managed to hang on to the tails of Hatty Dean and Lou Damen, to secure 3rd position. Now to build on my form and get a solid training stint in before I really test myself in the Reading half, my last race pre London Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment